I’m officially retiring from marathons. The above image is true. I learned a lot about myself while training for my marathon. Now that I have retired I can share a few things I learned.
– I learned that I can run many miles, alone, in the Florida heat.
– I learned that it sucks to run many miles, alone, in the Florida heat. – I learned that running is definitely a social activity for me and I don’t like to do it alone.
– I learned that you can pretty much solve any problem in your life on a 4+ hour run
– I learned that even Disney can’t make miles 20-26 fun (the do the .2 pretty well).
– I learned that I have the drive to push myself but not always the desire. Also, that there is a difference!
– I learned that it is possible to chafe in places you can’t even see!!
– I learned that slow and steady may win some race but I don’t know where that race was, it wasn’t my race, and being a slow runner sucks!
If you like the marathon distance, good for you! Dedicate a mile in your next race to those who have now sworn off the distance. Personally, I’m looking forward to the many Saturday’s I now get to sleep in instead of doing a long run!